Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Disappointed

My great friend D, after listening to me talk about a Color Affection Shawl for the longest time, gifted me three skeins of the most glorious (?) 1 ply , Jilly from Dream In Color.

Or so I thought...

I began with a lovely, pewter gray skein for the beginning of the shawl, falling in love with the subtle color movement, and quickly reached the first color change. This is my first project carrying yarn color changes up the side. I watched a few YouTube videos and was quickly on my way.


 





Then this started...


Not a knot, but a join that is so short, there's no way the yarn could stay together. I thought nothing of it, patched up the separation, and kept knitting. I came across one more true knot in this skein, no big deal, understandable with a 1 ply yarn...right?


You can see on the right of this photo, my first poor join in the orange (Tang) skein.



Which led to a second...


And a third...


A fourth...


  
Fifth...and these were the ones I took pictures of. 

There were several others before I was so pissed I unwound the rest of the skein. I HAD to know what I was in for.

One of these skeins was absolutely fine (Basalt), one skein was ok (Bluefish), but this last skein was crap (Tang). No nice way to say it.

What I found was this; all poor joins of 1.5 cm or less where the manufacturer barely joined the yarn together.


 This patch was a mere 18 inches between "patches".


Aaaaaand this is what I have left to finish my shawl with. Needless to say I am less than happy about it.

Dream In Color has been contacted. I received an apology, and was referred to my LYS for a refund, which I chose not to pursue. Why not? 

1. I'm almost done with the shawl and my LYS is out of this colorway, and 
2. I don't believe this should be the LYS owner's problem. I think the manufacturer/dyer should take responsibility. I feel like she blew me off.


I have a couple questions. 

A.) This isn't my first project with 1ply yarn, but it IS my first experience with this type of "seaming/joining" together within a skein. I have a gorgeous pair of socks knit with a Malbrigio 1 ply that I didn't have one problem with. Is this a frequent problem with 1 ply yarn?

B. Is it common practice now for yarn distributors to pass the buck onto the LYS? I love my LYS. Bobbi is busy enough without me coming into her shop to whine about something she can't control, but then has to follow up with the dyer for my refund?

LAME.


 C. Is this what the carried yarns are suppose to look like?

I'll get over this. I know I will. You know how? I have 472 other skeins of yarn in my stash. I WILL move on. For now, I'm just really disappointed, and I won't be buying any Dream In Color yarn ANY time soon.
I thought the people in the knitting community were better than this.

Later!

M
 


4 comments:

  1. Shame on the manufacturer pushing you back to the LYS! I've not worked with a huge number of single plys, but I've never had a problem like yours. I admire your persistence with the pattern, though. Personally, I'd write a proper complaint to the company, mentioning that it's not the LYS's fault that the company's yarn was messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Yarn Along. Setting aside all the yarn troubles, the colors are *gorgeous*! I've never had that sort of trouble with a one-ply yarn, but I've never used Dream in Color. Maybe it was a fluke. I don't know how the business side of things works exactly, but it does seem that the LYS should give you a refund, and then Dream in Color should give the LYS a refund - because they should be compensated as well, right? If you don't go through the LYS, they receive no compensation. You could look at it that way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would really (pardon my language) piss me off. The manufacturer should make good on it, unless they have an arrangement with the LYS that they will be reimbursed for the skein. The yarn doesn't even look strong enough to do magic knots to get you through. It is a pretty shawl and it will be well worth your time. And yes, that is how the carried yarns should look. Keep them as loose as possible - mine ended up being tighter than I would have liked and it kind of pulls the shawl in a bit at the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems unusual to have that many problems in a skein. Dream in Color will probably give your local yarn store a credit on their next order if you tell your yarn store about it. What your store does depends on the store. So even if you doen't want a replacement the store would like to be able to report the issue. They can also tell other customers who bought the yarn to be on the look out for issues in case it was a bad batch. I had a skein of Manos that was short by 14gms from a 100 last year. Since, I was knitting a shawl based on weight it wasn't a problem once I knew about it. I was the 1st person to buy a skein from that shipment and the LYS owner was able to contact Manos who gave her a credit and she was able to weigh all the remaining skeins and remove those that were short so it didn't hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete