Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Boy Socks

Hello!

I knit a TON of socks. I'm up to 42 pairs in my own drawer and and have knit many for others over the past few years. Last year I stumbled across several inexpensive skeins of Opal yarn on an Etsy page in Canada. When the shipment (vacuum packed-great idea!) arrived my son randomly commented, "I'd wear socks in THAT one."


I was thrilled. He has never asked me to knit something for him before. The self striping socks were on the needles right away. I was about half way through the first sock when he looked at it and said, 

"You're going to make them MATCH, right?"



You see, he is very particular about what he wears. It bothers him greatly when I wear socks that don't match, heaven forbid knit self striping socks and don't match up the stripes perfectly on both socks. 


So I ripped out my first attempt, tore apart the skein of yarn to find the midpoint, then set up for two-at-a-time socks.



I ROCKED it. 

He loves them, has worn them several times already, and has asked me to wash them.



YAY! This warms my heart.

Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along and Nicole's KCCO this morning. I work later today and I'm hoping its quiet so I can peruse what y'all have been up to!


Have great week Crafters!

Melissa




15 comments:

  1. Wow, very impressive! The first and only pair of socks I have knit so far were striped and I just couldn’t have the striped off in a pair. Where I had ended on the skein was close to where the pattern would begin again but it took me at least 5 cast-ons to get it right. I like your idea much better. Next time I will learn to knit two at a time as I already use magic loop for everything. ;) I am super impressed with your knitting sock abilities! And we sure need socks here in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Minnesota. The first thing I do every day when I get home form work is change out of my dress clothes and into hand knit socks!

      Delete
  2. I can see why he likes them. The yarn made a beautiful, yet manly-looking pattern. What a great win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! He has already asked for another pair.

      Delete
  3. Great job! They match perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. And thanks for stopping by my blog! Always good to know someone out there is reading it.

      Delete
  4. They match perfectly, well done! Your 42 pairs of socks sound wonderful. I'm no where near that yet but I'm doing my best to keep making more lol. I'm glad you're son is so appreciative of his new socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently dragged out my basket full of left overs from all of the socks I've knit. Might be time for a super crazy pair!

      Delete
  5. You get the knitting mother award for those socks. I am awed that you made them match!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww-what a good Mama you are!

    ReplyDelete