Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hat completion

Welcome back. I am always so grateful for those who visit but especially the feedback I get from my fellow knitters/crafters. Your opinions are important to me. Thank You!

I finished a couple of hats this weekend and can't wait to show you.

This first hat is Dream On! by Hanna Maciejewska. My Mom gifted me this project last December. I clean her apartment every 2-3 weeks and she usually "pays" me in yarn.



Its a combination of cables and loose K1P1 ribbing. It was my first slouchy style hat and my first time using a K1b stich (knit one in the row below). 
 

The hat itself is super comfy to wear, a nice combination of not too tight and pretty to look at.
 

I've had a bad experience with Jilly yarn before so I was pretty ambivalent about even starting this project. 

I LOVED the yarn. Super soft and smooth, and no knots in the skein. (I am soooo sick of finding knots in my high-end yarns). Knitting with silk blends is a dream. I knit slippery yarns with bamboo needles to help maintain control and consistency in my stitches.


I'm getting used to the closure of this hat   :/

Is it typical for slouchy hats to be closed with 50-60 stitches still on the needles? 

My teenage son commented on what this looks like - NOT something you want on your head. We'll leave it at that, Ok? 

My Favorite Five Year Old is still wearing the pumpkin hat I mad him last November. He needs a new one.


I'm a huge fan of Libby Jonson, TrulyMyrtle on IG and YouTube. She just released a men's beanie pattern called Maximus (and offered a coupon!).


I have some green yarn on hand that I thought would look great, but Nolan wanted grey, like the guy in the picture.


The grey yarn I had on hand was a skein of Berrocco Vintage DK. The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn and US7 needles. I used US6 needles, the DK weight yarn, and knit the largest of the three hat sizes. Should fit him just fine for a few years.

I even have enough left over yarn to make on for his Dad if he likes it too.

We (my husband and I) are getting ready to belly up to some home made Super Bowl treats and preparing for yet another burst of snow later today. 

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to this week. Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along on Wednesday and Nicole's KCCO on Tuesday.

Later,

Melissa







5 comments:

  1. I love both hats. They look great. I especially love the colour of the first one. :-) I have never closed off a hat with 50 or 60 stitches on the needles. Usually for slouch hats I end with k2tog till I have under 10 stitches and then finish off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely projects, I'm a fan of truly myrtle too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think I need to queue the Maximus hat for my husband's next knit - it looks exactly his kind of knit - and probably in grey too! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely hats, I think cables make them extra warm and squishy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On occasion I get to watch my friend's yarn shop and she pays me in yarn. I told her that she doesn't have to pay me at all because I love doing it so much but she always seems to slip something into my project bag. I won't complain. :)

    ReplyDelete