Saturday, June 14, 2014

OPAL SOCK UPDATE: AQUA

I've kept working toward my Finish Four commitment. I went down to the basement and pulled out several projects, none of which appealed to me in any way.

1. Finished: Ice Cream Bias Loop

I seamed up this Mohair Bias Loop, in the Ice Cream colorway. This kit was a Christmas gift from my Mom several years ago.


I remember enjoying this project at the time, but not having enough knitting experience to graft/kitchner the wrap closed.

After knitting a few rows to finish up the loop's length, it came to me, the reason I put it away? ...Mohair fuzz everywhere.

My attempt to graft these 70 stitches together was a test in patience. I lost.

Knowing full well I would not wear this over the shoulder, I decided to go with the 3 needle bind off. While I'm not thrilled with how it turned out, it has gorgeous drape and I've figured out a couple different ways to wear it without having to look a the huge scar of a seam running through it.

Lesson learned. Mohair is not for me. While beautiful and fun to knit with, I'm not a fan of fibers that shed.

2. Frogged: Cherry Tree Hill....something

I had started a wavy, lacy shawl with these 2 fun skeins of Cheery Tree Hill yarn.


The colors inspire me to paint my nails, but knot knit with it just yet.

I frogged the lacy project and will most likely stick to socks with this yarn. Too much color movement for anything else.

3. Started: Baby Blanket

The M Family is expecting its 6th great chrandchild in November. I'm pretty sure our niece M doesn't follow my knitting blog so its safe to post her baby's gift here.

I've wanted to knit something in pima cotton for a while. This Cascade Ultra Pima was on sale, free shipping, and I had a VISA gift card to burn.

It is a dream to knit with. Smooth, fine, and even stitches. I just love it.


I don't often knit with solid colors. This DROPS pattern appealed to me because of all the texture. I think it will look great and Mama M will love it for her new addition.


I have NEVER been able to follow and knit a project from a DROPS pattern. They are vague, without traditional instruction, and require a slow, thorough read & re-write in order for my brain to understand. I found this Raveler's version, and decided to follow her lead. Thanks Michelle for doing the work for the rest of us!


My new Chiaogoo Stainless Steel RED Circulars....Mmmm...needle love. And half the price on Amazon than at the LYS. Amazon Prime is a wonderful thing.

The baby is due in November so I have plenty of time to work on this in between my stash busting goals and Opal sock yarn obsession.

4. Started: Speaking of Opal sock yarn

I've reached the heel flap of my first Opal sock. SO FUN!


 These little checkered sections are such a fun surprise.


Big Saturday update for me. I hope you enjoyed it.

Later!

M



1 comment:

  1. Way to work through some projects!!! Loving the Opal socks a ton!

    ReplyDelete