Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Therapy no doublt & Reloaded!

I finished these...




Picked this back up...




Inherited this (squee!) ...



I and I'm most proud to say: I dyed these!



Our store (WPD) is somewhat reloaded (I only had 10 undyed skeins on hand). Etsy link is also top right on this blog. No pressure to buy. Just take a look and tell me what you think. Be honest, but be nice!


I love the transitions between colors.



Sometimes muddy,


Sometimes juicy.


And sometimes a little intentional white in between. The POP of white for one or two stitches is not only a fun design element, but a reminder that its NOT a commercially produced skein.

I use one (gloved) hand to apply the dye and the other to "smoosh" the colors together. THIS is my favorite part.

Not the science: the soaking, the acid, the measuring, boiling 500 gallons endless cups of water when pasting up dyes, the mask (UGH), etc. I LOVE smooshing. I squeal with delight, my husband smiles, rolls his eyes, and continues with his puzzle.

All are acid dyed. Just me having fun. I experimented with some brights and some tonals. I learned a lot, didn't make a huge mess, and made art! All dried in the fresh MN air. With our snow pack melting, they smell FRESH!


Lets get serious for a minute. I NEEDED TO DYE THIS LAST WEEKEND. NEEDED.

Knitting is art for me. I shut out the stressful part of my world, focus on the task at hand (literally), and lose myself in it.

Saturday morning our community lost one of the most vibrant women I've ever met. We weren't close, but Moms of athletes on local sports teams spanning the past 6-7 years. Our daughters are friends and our sons are friends. Darla was a bright, shiny penny in our little corner of the world. She passed away early Saturday morning after a short, valiant, 90 day battle with thyroid cancer and she will be greatly missed.

Lord, welcome Darla.

This struck too close to home for us.
I was rattled.
I needed to run away,
and I ran to the dye pot.

Darla inspired these colors. Please. Take a look.

Linking up with Ginny tomorrow morning & Frontier Dreams tonight.
Much love to my knitting friends this week.

Later,

M






11 comments:

  1. First let me say I love your socks! The yarn is so bright. And, the yarn you dyed is amazing with those beautiful shades of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all ready to wax lyrical about the beautiful socks and super amazing dye colours until I got to the end of your post. So sad when a mother passes away - those poor children. My prayers are with her family. I can see why you needed to get lost in your dye pot - knitting, dyeing, embroidery, any craft does that for me too. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sad about the mother and her short battle, so so so sad. Your dyeing is lovely and bright and cheerful! i bet you smile as you look at your handiwork. Love the socks and what is the second project??

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a tragic loss.....in days to come, i'm sure you all will be a comfort to her children; mom's rally like that, don't we? your colors are uplifting....i love (LOVE!) those socks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Darla. How scary, especially because thyroid cancer is usually one of the more "treatable" varieties. I can see how you found solace in your dye pots. And your yarns are beautiful. I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great socks and wonderfully beautiful dyed yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. Your socks are beautiful and the dyed yarn looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dyed yarns are absolutely beautiful. I really like your socks too. So sorry for your loss. It is scary when one of our contemporaries passes away, especially when it is so quickly. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss, cancer took my husband's Granddad two months ago, less than 2 years after he lost his Gran. Horrible illness.

    Your socks look lovely and the yarn you've been dyeing is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yarn is the best therapy there is! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yarns are stunning! I am so impressed (and so lacking in the patience to do something like that!)
    I am so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how something like that can rock your sense of reality. Prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete