Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Home Stretch

Good Morning!

This past week has been very busy both at home and at work, so not a ton of knitting progress.

When I buy what I consider high-end yarn I want the knit item to be "right". Not even that, but moreso "just the way I like it", or "right for me". I think a lot of knitters are like that. Once I feel I've mastered a skill, or understand a project's construction I'm free to modify it to fit me or the person I'm knitting for.

I started heel flaps on these Quaere socks. I love heel flaps.



2 at a time, on 1 circular needle. Not an easy task.



My personal pattern for heel flaps are very comfortable and fit my feet perfectly.  I love heel flaps. I can knit heel flaps with my eyes closed. But I could tell I was not going to be happy with the way the stripes thinned around the front of the sock, then after the gussett, sloooowly found the striping pattern again.



So I frogged them back, knit in an after thought heel line, then a few stripes later opened the heel so I could continue to try on the sock as I knit.


I actually finished the heels last night while watching the Wild game with Big Daddy. I just need to stitch them closed. No photos of that as there is no daylight in MN after 3PM.

God, please let Spring come soon.

Have I mentioned that I love heel flaps?



I prefer the legs of my socks to be longer, and the foot to be snug. Floppy toes and loose legged socks are given away as gifts. <<wink>> These little puppies fit my feet perfectly. I'M SO EXCITED TO WEAR THEM!

 I also started  pair of socks for my son. At 17 (going on 47), I jumped at his first interest in hand knit socks.

I think my friend Dee bought this yarn for me. We both find skeins on sale online and just buy some to keep, and some to share.


He is a Type-A and is VERY concerned about the two socks not looking exactly alike.


I'm not sure whether I will respect his wishes to have matching socks, or challenge him to step out of the box and wear socks that don't match...

As you can see by the color, he's not the adventurous type.

Have a Happy Wednesday Friends! Linking up with Ginny again today.

Later!

M

6 comments:

  1. Wow I love those stripes, so colourful! I think having to do an afterthought heel is the only thing that puts me off stripy socks. I love knitting them as they seem to progress so quickly but I'm just not mad on the heel fit :-S Maybe I just need to try some more styles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stripes, just not the square-ish heel you end up with. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I agree - an afterthought heel is the way to go for your striped Quaere socks. I bet you can't wait to get those on your feet! And there will be no second sock syndrome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna you always leave such positive comments! They're done, I've worn them, and yes they are one of my favorite pairs.

      Delete