Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Experiment: Sock Blank

I've been fascinated by sock blanks for some time now. Especially how the dye pattern affects the behavior of the color in socks.

During my dye weekend earlier this month I dyed a blank for myself and used this drab, straw yellow color that I've completely fell in love with.


 I started these socks last night and am quite enamored with them. We'll see how the stipes pan out. << fingers crossed>> The color blends/changes are just lovely.


I also finished these yesterday.


I was trapped in my upstairs bedroom while this was going on. The carpet in our house is 13 years old and was grossing me out.



I THINK the yarn is Fresh From the Cauldron.

I DO know I bought it at StevenBe last Summer.


Its a 60st sock on size 1 US needles. I wanted the yellow to pop, so decided to purl those stitches. I think they look pretty cool!


I'm also thinking I need to go back to taking my blog photos with my camera instead of my phone. Merp.

Linking up with Nicole tonight and Ginny in the morning. I so look forward to everyone's weekly updates and FO's!

Later!

Melissa



18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous socks, they are so pretty and look comfy. I haven't ventured in to sock knitting yet but I am going on a natural dyeing workshop in a few weeks so I can't wait to dye my first hank:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are so pretty and I love how you made the yellow pop by purling, such a great idea.
    Love the new socks you cast on and look forward to seeing how the stripes play out.
    Happy yarn along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tracy. You always have such kind things to say!

      Delete
  3. loving the small pops of yellow in the socks. Still on my to-do list; learn how to knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a house that was painted yellow and I hated it. Now yellow is one of may favorite colors!

      Delete
  4. i love what you did with those socks!! and i too love sock yarn and how the colors work into socks. so different from other types of knits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sock blanks seem to be everywhere right now. I take it you just frog the blank as you knit the sock? The colors look great. Your finished socks don't look to shabby either ;) Fun idea about purling just the yellow section. I'd love to see how they look on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right. One end of the blank is "locked" and the other unravels very easily. I've knit many pairs of socks 2-at-a-time, and I've noticed that while unraveling a sock blank the yarn tends to twist LESS. No fighting with two unruly balls of yarn rolling in a bag.

      Delete
  6. I love the pinks and yellows together! Pretty socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki. I appreciate you stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  7. love the colours in your sock blank. I've only knitted with one once before and it was a rainbow so fairly predictable colours.

    Your finished socks look good, I like the idea of purling a certain colour to make it stand out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sock blanks sound like tons of fun. I love your idea of purling to make the yellow pop. I'm sure being trapped for such a good cause was pretty great. New floors is always exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE MY NEW CARPET! Unfortunately it makes everything around it look very well loved. Now, off to look for a couch!

      Delete
  9. I love how the yellow purl stitches adds a bit of something extra to the socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure we were together when I bought that yarn. And yes, it sat in my stash for A YEAR. Sheesh.

      Delete