Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sock Blank Experiment: Part 2

Getting this post up pretty late today. I literally ran out of daylight yesterday.

Okay, okay. So I had the house to myself and I sat in the couch and knit all evening. Fine.

A couple days ago one of my customers asked me if Willow Pond Dyeworks was on IG. Truth: I had to Google what IG was, and after learning she was referring to Instagram, I leapt into action called my daughter. She walked me through setting up both a personal IG account, and one for WPD. You can find us as @willowponddyeworks on Instagram. Neato!

I finished both heel flaps before bed. (earned myself and ice cream sandwich, I did!)


Interesting how the daylight changes the basic tone of a photograph. I took all of these pictures about an hour ago. One looks much more orange than the rest. Hmmm. I may have to play with the settings on my phone a bit.


The saffron and pink are striping a little differently than I had imagined. The big surprise for me is how the larger stripe affect appeared after a few inches of knitting. I didn't expect that. Cool!


That in itself is my favorite part of knitting with hand dyed yarns. The surprise is worth the wait, and the money we pay. Its a piece of true hand made art. It develops as you continue to work your craft.


This is a 56st sock on size US1 needles. I have size 7.5-8 feet, but prefer my socks to be snug.

If you were to knit this same sock blank in a 64st sock, or on a different size needle, it would look completely different. It may not even stripe. Isn't that crazy? I love that!

I do have a skein of yarn for sale on my Etsy shop in this colorway, its just variegated, not self striping.

Looking forward to the progress everyone has made this week.

Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along and Nicole's Keep Calm Crafting On.

Later Friends!

Melissa





No comments:

Post a Comment