Tuesday, March 25, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Cafe en Paris

Have you ever found yourself so excited about a project that you fly through the pattern with no regard of time or space, looking forward to the the next repeat, or pattern section?



Meet Cafe en Paris (or Dinner in the Eiffel Tower Shawl). My plan is to make a couple extra repeats in strategic spots in the pattern to use as much of the yummy Madelintosh DK as possible (Parchment colorway). I use the coffee reference because when I wear this no one will be able to tell whether I've spilled/dribbled coffee on it or not. I do this daily. I go through many, many work shirts.

Last Saturday I reached the 6th of 7 pattern sections (homestretch!), only to realize I made a mistake somewhere. Ugh. And as there are pattern stitches worked on the knit AND purl sides...

I
couldn't
find it.


So I decided to tear back all 20-25 rows (6,000+ stitches) and start the section over, but I didn't put in a lifeline. I tracked back to a spot where I recognized the pattern and put one in. Can you see the blue yarn?


I pulled and wound, pulled and wound...




Then I fished my needle back through all the stitches. Only to find I had jumped a row...


I stubbornly kept pushing on and finally found my way.


It has taken me few days to recover from this little disaster, and I have almost finished re-knitting this section of the shawl.


With tax time looming, I will not finish this baby anytime soon. Hopefully by Easter Sunday.

I'm joining Ginny, Nicole, and Tami today as usual.

Thanks for visiting!

Later!

M


12 comments:

  1. I also knit my shawls on the edge, no lifelines. You would think I would learn, but no, I like to live dangerously! Lovely shawl, need to mark that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good you could fix it. It's a lovely shawl and very convienient for coffee drinkers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shed a little tear for your error. Thankfully it was fixed. I love Mad Tosh. My favorite yarn for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, my knitting sympathy is fully with you. Those moments that we have to undertake something like this is just huge. It will be beautiful and worth it in the end, and so glad that you could fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your set back but I'm still laughing about your coffee thoughts - how ingenious :-) I should knit (and sew) for myself with this in mind, especially now, that my belly is growing more and more coffee (and other things) are ending up on my shirts and dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great save! Commiseration on the unravelling and re knitting, my current project has been a lot like that, so worth it in the end. Perfect colour for a coffee drinker.
    May it all be smooth knitting to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh the adventurous side of knitting! well done on the fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an ingenious idea to mark the pattern I would never have thought of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I HATE it when that happens. The first time I saw how to put in a lifeline post on Pinterest, I swear angels sang. So grateful to have that little tip in my toolbox now. And I am so laughing at the spilled coffee remark because I do that so often too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just looking at this pattern on Ravelry and thinking how lovely it is. Your story however has given me pause, perhaps it is a little too ambitious for a first shawl. I will definitely be knitting it at some point though. I love the colour you have chosen.
    Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry this pattern gave you so much trouble but it is quite beautiful. Perfect name for it! It will definitely hide those annoying spills.

    ReplyDelete