Tuesday, May 6, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Tangerine Arabesque and I'm old.

You must understand I rarely wear the color orange. Recently only a cream-cicle colored v-neck top has snuck itself into my wardrobe. My pasty white skin tends to get washed out by many shades of orange.

This yummy skein of tangerine lace weight yarn was another find in my Mother's stash. (Again, no label) The Seascape stole I initially started looked really weird. The flowing watery pattern just didn't look right in orange.

I love how the zigs and zags of this Arabesque look like shriveled up panty hose before blocking. Knitting lace is really magical. One must be very patient.

When I first printed the pattern I laughed...loudly.

I turned 44 yesterday and my eyes are slowly failing me. I had to blow up the charts a little bit on my copier, just so my head didn't explode trying to follow the original.


Remember my comment about patience and knitting lace?

The bulk of this project is a repeat of the same 46 stitch chart. It is knit twice the first time, 4 times the second time around, and 6 times the last, for a total of 101 rows. Very easy to follow, but yikes. One must be truly patient. I'm an office supply junkie, so the orange highlighter was my weapon of choice.


With 15 rows left in repeat #3 I feel like I'm on the home stretch. 

With 346 stitches and counting each row takes quite a while.

I took a few minutes yesterday to pin it out a little so you can see the pattern. Very out of the box for me. I love it.




Family and friends gave me the royal treatment for my BDay yesterday.

Big C drove home from school to surprise me with a visit last weekend. Best gift ever.

I am so very blessed.

Cake from the girlies I work with.


This little flower is so cute. And yes, I ate it.
 

A kitchen chalkboard message from Big Daddy.


 And best of all, mushy words and chocolate.





 Even Google knew it was my Birthday. That creeps me out.

 

Thanks for stopping by. I know it was a lengthy post.

Joining Ginny & Tami today. 

Later!

M
 




 

15 comments:

  1. wow, lots of patience for sure for that knit, but how lovely it is!!! and what a good idea to enlarge it, etc... God grant you many years ~ happy birthday! Chocolate yum, visits yay! and love, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the Birthday Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! Just love the colour of the yarn and the lace pattern is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! That lace with that yarn is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splendid! I need to use that word more often. Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday from one May baby to another! Your shawl is gorgeous! I'm not a fan of orange myself but that color has been creeping into my wardrobe lately.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop Woop! Are you a Taurus too? Not something I follow, but my personality resembles that of a Bull all too often.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday!!

    Love the shade of orange you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to you! I am 10 years older than you and totally understand needing to enlarge the patterns. I have never been a fan of much orange, but lately I am drawn to it. This shawl is absolutely fantastic! I Love, Love, Love it. I know you will enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also put off renewing my drivers license until the very last day, my Birthday. I was soo worried I wouldn't pass the vision test!

      Delete
  7. That lace pattern and the color you are using are both beautiful! Wow!
    And happy birthday. Hope you had a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful pattern. I love the color of that yarn. I have never attempted a charted knit, but I have begun using highlighters on my more complicated cross-stitch charts. They become so much easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharpie highlighters are my ultimate favorite - very saturated color. Makes charted knitting a snap!

      Delete